Tuesday 7 January 2014

Cover trends and inspiration

On the left side are the magazine covers I find are the most eye-catching and intriguing, on the right side are the magazines I find the least eye-catching and interesting. 

The magazines on the right are not very interesting because they all look very similar, they have followed trends.
- As they all have followed the trends so closely they have no individuality and this makes them seem boring.
- They also have put as much sub headings on the page as possible this makes it seem very trashy like a womans gossip magazine. 

The magazines on the left however all have their own individual trends which make them stand out from the rest, for example DJBROADCAST uses a minimalistic cover which is very different and interesting.
- Clash and Mixmag use the same headline convention however they do not fill the page completely with subheadings they leave space this makes the image stand out more and the magazine seem more classy.
In my magazine I like the idea of using a minimalistic approach as it adds mystery and makes you want to read on and find out what is inside, and I would like to give my magazine its own convention which gives it its individuality.
However I would also need to ensure that I stick to the vital conventions of all music magazines, these are: Having the magazine title in large at the top of the page; Featuring a large band name on the front cover; using some kind of subheadings; featuring the barcode and price on the front; using no more than 3 fonts.

No comments:

Post a Comment