Monday 27 January 2014

Initial ideas for cover

Above are some drawings of initial ideas I had for my cover. I have tried to stick with the conventions that I chose in my earlier post, however i have also tried to give it some individuality. From my research i concluded that close ups were very effective on covers so i have tried a couple with close ups. I also tired one without a close up to challenge the convention.

From my research I also found that simple bold text was used often, i tried that on 2 ideas and i challenged this convention on my 3rd idea. I can see that the bolder simple font does stand out more.

On all covers i had to stick with the convention of subheadings as it can be used to lure readers. However to give my magazine individuality i will use a small amoun of subheadings so it is enough to get people interested but keep them curious.

I also wanted to use the idea of having black space so from these ideas I tried to leave a lot of black spaces as this blank space often attracts the eye.

One other convention sometimes used in real magazines are banners at the top or bottom of the cover. I want to use this idea to explicitly say who my magazine is for, as you can see from my initial flat plans.